Thursday, June 21, 2007

Library Elf

Checking this task off of my 43 Things list took a few more days than usual. First of all, my confirmation email got trapped by the spam filter. I waited patiently until 2 PM on the following day to get my digest. I dutifully released my confirmation and was on my way to being a full-fledged member of Library Elf. Hooray! I was pleasantly surprised to see how many MD library systems play ball with them. So what does the Elf do? It sends me an email every few days reminding me that I have overdues and what other junk I have checked out. Why do I care? Well, in a way, I don't. I'm here every day and I can check My Account on our library catalog. Also, I do get those nice little emails from CCPL reminding me when stuff is due. So why do I bother? Well, first of all, it's kind of neat. Secondly, Library Elf keeps reminding me that stuff is overdue. It's really in-my-face about it. With CCPL, I only get one email and then I've forgotten by the time I get home. This morning, the Elf reminded me to get my overdues gathered and get them back (and I did!!!). Otherwise, I tend to forget. A lot.

No comments: